Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Genesis


How did I earn my self-appointed title of "Bryophile"? How why have I designated myself the ambassador to these overlooked and under appreciated plants? Well it all began as an undergrad at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry where I earned my Bachelors of Science degree in Environmental and Forest Biology with a concentration in Plant Biology (my fingers are tired just typing that...). I spent the first few semesters in Syracuse and the Adirondacks falling in love with plants. I took a course my junior year called the Ecology of Mosses. I've always thought mosses were cute - how often do you come across a course in their ecology?

Freshman year retreat circa September 2002. Dr. Kimmerer showing us the local flora (I'm in the red sweatshirt)


It was taught by my academic advisor and previous professor, Dr. Robin Kimmerer. At the time she had just recently published her book, Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses, a collection of beautifully written essays that explore the world of mosses and how they relate to our own lives. A must read for anyone with any moderate interest in mosses.


During this class I fell deeply into the fascinating life of mosses. It is physically impossible for me to walk through the woods, or anywhere, really, without having to stop and pet the mosses and whisper their names. I had no idea mosses lead such an intricate, yet simplistic life. I felt privileged to have had these secrets revealed to me - and in time, you too will be privy to the secret life of mosses as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment