Friday, November 26, 2010

Scale

I am a scientist. Yet I understand that my personal life experiences and the clairvoyance (ability to read hidden messages in something) I detect in any event, as trivial as they might seem, are incomprehensible to anyone else but me; it is the way I understand the universe communicates with me.

An astrologer once advised me to follow my bliss, and only then I would lead a truly happy life. I would simply have to listen to and follow my intuition in the form of, “good feels good, bad feels bad” and opportunities will open up. The astrologer put into words what I have always felt but never consciously realized: I was put on this earth to break boundaries and stand up against the status quo. He told me I will be the one to develop new standards in my field and be an imparter of visions of the future. Of course I am not the type to accomplish this on a large-political scale, but within my own realm: my spirituality, my occupation, home-life, eating habits, et cetera. I can see myself as the first one to develop a manual in bryophyte curation techniques that will be adopted by gardens, perhaps the first to develop moss propagation techniques on a larger scale, aiding in the first comprehensive moss field guide. I embrace the idea of being different and unique; I could never want to be like anyone else but me.

A little while ago my bliss took me to Denver, Colorado. There I got to mingle with fellow plant curation and nomenclature geeks at the APGA Collections Symposium at Denver Botanic Garden. On the plane ride over I mostly had my nose glued to the tiny airplane window. The earth looks pretty amazing from up there in the troposphere. Viewing the world from that level I could see the gradual elevation differences in the topography. During autumn it is a lot easier to view the species distribution along particular microclimates. It is absolutely fascinating to view the landscape at this point in geologic time and reflect on the evolution of the planet from its inception and how life has colonized their preferential niches within the undulating land carved by glaciers several thousand years ago. Looking out at the forested areas below, the only thing I can think of is moss (of course). From this altitude the dense trees blend together creating these turfs and tufts along the land, just like moss does from our perspective. I liken this high-altitude view of the forest below as analogous to our human view of moss from our natural height. The same natural, microclimatic forces apply in the colonization of tree, shrub and herbaceous plants species along a vast expanse of land as it does for moss species along its substrate.


Really cool way to display teeny alpine plants! If only there were moss displays like this somewhere...

I am grateful to be aware of the clarity I am experiencing at this point in my life. Things are just clicking, just as the astrologer said they would. Apparently as this year is my time to wrap up some loose ends, the 1st quarter of the next year will mark some new beginnings. I cannot wait to see where my bliss will take me next!

No comments:

Post a Comment